Tuesday, October 12, 2010

my Walgreens trip on Sunday

For better or worse, here's what went down at Walgreens on Sunday. Remember, this helps me keep track of my spending and savings, so if this makes you yawn just skip right over it! But feel free to share what you got at Walgreens this week!

*If you don't do a lot of couponing, Walgreens gives certain items an amount of "Register Rewards" (RR) each week, which print out with your receipt and act as Walgreens Money that you can use on your next transaction. For each item I'm going to list how much it was on sale for, and below that how much I got it for after the coupons I used and the RR's I got with it. So the final cost of the item won't be necessarily what I payed out of pocket, but the final value of that item, since I was able to use those RR's to get money off my next transaction.


Transaction 1:

(5) cans Swanson Chicken broth @ $1.17/each
          -in-ad coupon made them $.50 each
          -$.50 wyb 5
          =$2.00 or $.40/each
(2) Nivea Body Washes @ 2/$9 (sale)
          - $3 wyb 2
          - $4 RR 
          = $2 or $1/each
(1) 4pk Noxema Disposible Razors @ 3.99 (sale)
          - $.75
          - $3 RR
          = $.25
(2) Halls Refresh Cough Drops @ $.99/each (sale)
          - $.75
          - $.75
          = $.50 or $.25/each
(1) Bayer Blood Glucose Meter @ $14.99 (sale)
          -$10.00
          -$5 RR
          = free!
I got $3 RR and 2 free Redbox rentals for getting the rest of this stuff:
(2) Chex Mix @ $1.50/each (sale)
          -.75/2
          = $2.25
(2) Sunkist @ $1/each
          -B1G1
          = $1 or $.50/each
(3) Dr. Pepper @ $1/each
          = $3
(2) A&W Root Beer & Canada Dry @ $1/each
          -B1G1
          = $1 or $.50/each
$7.25 - $3 RR = 4.25 for the Chex Mix & sodas

My subtotal, not counting sales, coupons, or RR's was $69.45.
With sales alone, I saved $21.39.
With coupons, I saved another $23.89, and I used $2 RR that I had from my last trip.
Out of pocket, I spent $24.45, and got $15 RR.
Since I can use that $15 RR on another purchase, I really spent $9.45! And got 2 free Redbox movies.

Transaction 2: I have been dying to get Clemsonopoly, so we decided to go for it and use some of our RR's from the previous transaction. Otherwise, this transaction would have been pretty cheap and we'd have lots of RR's for next time.

(3) Old Spice Body Wash @ 3/$10 (sale)
          -B1G1
          -3RR
          = $3.67 or $1.22/each
(1) Clemsonopoly @ $19.99

Subtotal: $30.00
After coupons and $12 RR: $15.33
Out of pocket spent: $16.76 - $3 RR for next time = $13.76.

I learned this trip that I can't just use all my RR's in one purchase (I had $15 from the last transaction, so I thought this one would be free with RR's). The RR's print out and are rung up like a regular manufacturer's coupon (I had one for $5, one for $4, and two for $3), so you can only use one RR coupon per item, and the number of coupons AND RR's can't exceed the number of items. I had 4 items and used one coupon, so I could only use 3 RR coupons, which was $12 off.

There you have it! A pretty successful trip, even though we spent more out of pocket than we expected.

And Clemsonopoly has already been broken out, and one of us completely dominated. You'll find out soon enough who it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment